G048 - Working to a brief overview
Demonstrate the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of an ICT project based on a given brief.
G053 - Web Design Overview
You should understand:
- The requirements for setting up a website;
- Terminology relating to the internet;
- The differences in the range of web programming languages available for developing web pages and components within them;
- The differences between internet and intranet sites, and the network security implications of running web servers.
Create a website for an estate agent based in your local area that:
- Features properties for sale in your area;
- Includes descriptions and multimedia presentations of the properties.
- Search for different types of properties;
- Register to be added to the estate agent’s mail and email list;
- Request a viewing of a particular property.
You must produce
What G048 G053 CWP Report A preparatory report into current working practice An evaluation of commercial websites that have been downloaded Design A project plan in response to the set brief Analysis and design notes for a website that has at least three pages, together with detailed plans for publishing their website Blog/Log A diary or log of work completed Support materials for use with the project Evidence Annotated print outs of their own web pages in WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) format identifying the features and techniques used in the web page; Annotated printouts of their own web pages in HTML format identifying edits to script commands to change page layout; documentation of website testing Test Report
Documentation of website testing
Include evidence of uploading, FTP and domain choice.
Evaluation A summative report on the project, which will be informed by client and user feedback An evaluation of both their website and the components used to produce it, and their own performance
- Check progress
- Introduce brief
- Talk through timeline.
- Create a blog for the G048C criteria.
Creating a Website (Learn)
Planning a Website by reviewing current practice (Analysis)
G053A says that the candidate evaluates critically the design and structure of at least two existing commercial websites, clearly identifying how the features have provided ideas for inclusion or exclusion in their own website.You should produce an analytical report into current working practice. You should:
- Access and search the internet to review existing websites, to obtain ideas on design and the use of both multimedia and interactive features;
- Consider the benefits and drawbacks of different features for both the user and the website owner;
- Consider the strategies used to increase the number of site ‘hits’, e.g. use of metatags;
- Download graphics and information;
- How websites are produced;
- Structure of similar websites;
- Look for pitfalls to be avoided;
- Essential items;
- Hints and Tips relating to techniques or design.
You will learn about different structures of website:
You should complete Web Fundamentals #3 – Build a Webpage
- Web or Mesh
How the Web Works
You need to know how the web works in relation to Domain Names etc.
Laws and Guidelines
You need to know of the laws and guidelines that affect the use of ICT as stated in Unit G040: Using ICT to communicate and how they affect Websites.You will produce a Blog Post on the topic.
Students should learn about the different design tools available to them and research different design tools before deciding which which they are going to use – the decision can be documented as a post. They should also begin design and produce sub-tasks and timing charts. The design should include/document
- Layout of page;
- Consistency of design between pages;
- Use of text;
- Use of graphics;
- Use of navigational aids;
- Use of hyperlinks;
- Style of font;
- Use of colour;
- Use of interactive features such as guest books, message boards, feedback forms, sending a message.
- G048Bi - The candidate uses two formal planning techniques to plan their project.
- G048Bii - The candidate’s plan fully identifies all tasks required in order to complete the project
- G053Bi - The candidate produces a detailed analysis of the website to be produced and detailed planning documentation including structure diagrams, a storyboard, an index of pages and files to be used in the site and a task list or action plan for a hierarchical or mesh website;
- The candidate clearly explains the reason for the choice of font style, graphics, colour and hyperlinks they plan to use;
Review of Design Performance
The specification says:
Aided by your teacher and peers you should review your designs and produce a blog post that:
- G048E - The candidate analyses their actions in planning their project and fully identifies strengths and weaknesses in their planning;
- The candidate suggests improvements to the overall process; these improvements are clearly linked to their analysis of their actions in planning their project.
- identifies strengths and weaknesses in their planning;
- suggests improvements to the overall process;
Creating a Website (Use)
You should begin developing your final website as per your design.
You should create a high quality multiple-page website making effective use of an extensive range of hyperlinks, multimedia and interactive features as per G053Ci.Blogging and Screen grabs should be used to fully explains each of the design techniques, hyperlinks, multimedia and interactive features used as per G053Cii.G053D also says that you must demonstrate an understanding of HTML script commands by explaining three different script commands, editing HTML script commands to change page layout and adding HTML script commands for a comprehensive range of additional components. This can be done on your blog.
Creating a Website (Testing)
The specification says G053E - The candidate produces a detailed test plan and provides evidence that they used it to carry out thorough testing of their website to ensure that the website meets the design specifications produced in task b(i) and is fully functional, revising the website if necessary.So you need to show:
- whether the website works with different hardware/software specifications;
- check that the structure, style and formatting help understanding of the content;
- test that all pages can be accessed in the correct order;
- test that all elements on each web page can be viewed and accessed – this will involve consideration of colour depth and file formats;
- proof read all pages to ensure that there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
Uploading a Website
You will learn about:
The specification says G053Bii - The candidate identifies the preferred domain name and home page location to set up and install web pages on an internal/external site so that website visitors can access their pages in the correct sequence; The candidate clearly explains the reason for the choice of preferred domain name and home-page location giving appropriate alternative options.
- Domain name registration;
- File and folder names and organisation;
- Use of a file exchange program, such as ftp or http, to publish the website.
- Advice on Evidence for this section to follow
Candidates need to consider whether their website:
- Meets the original list of intentions;
- Attracts the intended audience;
- Puts the right information across;
- Is easy to use.
- Identify the good and bad features of the website;
- Describe any difficulties with the software that was used.
- They should review their effectiveness:
- How has the work of others influenced the development of my work?
- How have I supported the work of others?
- How were important decisions made and how were others informed of those decisions?
- How did I deal with differences of opinion?
- How effective are the processes and techniques I developed in order for me to meet the demands of the brief?
- How well did my project meet the user’s needs?
- In what ways would I alter my project if I did it again?