- ICT Functional Skills is a GCSE level qualification so earns you points towards college etc. It has a very simple 70% Pass/Fail system where:
- a Level 2 Pass will earn you 1/2 GCSE Grade B.
- a Level 1 Pass will earn you 1/2 GCSE Grade ?.
Preparing for the Exam:The following list is a guide to the sort of tasks you could be asked to complete:
- design a poster
- design a leaflet
- create a newsletter
- internet searching
- using email
- spreadsheet functions
- drawing charts and graphs
- relative and absolute cell referencing in spreadsheets
- diagrams and logos
- database sorting and filtering (queries)
In the Exam:As you are under exam conditions during the exam you WILL NOT be allowed to ask for help e.g. how to do something and during the second practical task the internet will be turned off. Don’t forget though you can use the F1 help button available in most applications. Remember, that although you maybe able to do something using a ‘cheat’ method the examiners are expecting you to do it properly e.g. adding up numbers using your head in a spreadsheet – the exam will expect you to use formulas. Finally, remember that the exam is not really that difficult – you should have done everything before in school. The difficult bit is doing making sure you do it quickly and accurately – GOOD LUCK.
You might be asked to create and/or adapt a newsletter or leaflet.
You will expected to show that you can use a spreadsheet. Below are some worksheets that show the skills you require and some tasks for you to test your abilities.
Diagrams and Logos
You might be asked to create and/or design a diagram or logo.
Mock Papers and Exam Style Questions.
Use these to practice as you get closer to the exam.